Monday, November 1, 2021

November is Doom

 






It is time again for November to be doom. This our third  annual celebration and  It only makes sense November is the coming of darkness depression kicks in. You see too much family and want to die. It's the perfect month for doom.  Also every year at this time I take part in Nanowrimo, the National Book Writing, month where writers from all over have a month to bust out at 50,000 word book, and doom is great music to write to. Do not hold your breath for a ton of sludge or stoner rock, though if they are in the same zip code and are dark enough to almost be doom, perhaps I will use them as an example to show what doom is not. 

 I am also going to steer clear of a ton of Sabbath Worshipers. I might let one through and obviously point out the folly of their ways. Black Sabbath themselves were not a doom band. They birthed riffs that influenced doom,  Doom does not have to be a endless retro regurgitation of the past. In fact this month I am primarily focusing on bands that are bringing something new to the table. There will be no death doom. I think I have had enough of that for the year and the bulk of those bands are just slow death metal bands and not bringing the kind of darkness I desire. 

Spoiler alert I already have new albums by Monolord, Lucifer and Witnesses waiting in the wings , so we are going to catch up on releases we might have missed , while are not forsaking the past altogether as I will listen back to classic album and see how they measure up. I Let the seasonal depression take us as we dive into November's Doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment