At this point, I've heard so much noise rock and metal core I will go back to black metal. I found some depressive black metal because, when it comes to this genre, it's what I want most. It tends to be the darkest and most melodic. This album starts with the lingering strum of acoustic guitars. It eventually does lead to a flurry of blast beats, but they have already given it more to contrast with. Like Shining, this band is Swedish, which to some extent plays into the dense guitar sound. The vocals are in a Gullom-like rasp.It is emotive enough to fit the bill, so that makes up for some of the more textbook blast beat dynamics. There are lots of layers to the guitars,
The second song sounds like they are just modulating the riff from the first song. The blast beat that possesses it is a little more rabid. More double bass and a soaring gallop propel " A Dark Cloudy Dream"; it is more memorable than the previous song. It has a brighter, almost Deafheaven-like sound. I am impressed you can hear the bass player on this album. The blast beats work a little better than they might on your typical black metal album here, though a little goes a long way. They do kick into a more Marduk-like riff on the song after this, but it gets caught up in blast beats.
"Hajartesong" is more of a straight-up classic metal sound, with the scathing vocals the main element that keeps it rooted in black metal. Its deliberate riffs carry more of a stomp.It builds up effectively. "Never Goes Away" finds tremolo-picked guitars carrying the melody while the drums crash around it. Closing the album like it opened it with an almost ten-minute song that allows the acoustic guitars to sprawl out for the first half of the song. It transitions into clean singing that flows through the rest of the song even as it builds back up. I will give this album a 9, it's more postblack metal at times than depressive black metal, but they have solidified themselves here as a black metal band to watch. Coming out on Purity Through Fire
No comments:
Post a Comment