Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Embers of Dawn : "Infernal Culture"

 





Here's an industrial-tinged death metal band from Florida, though not the death-metal part of Florida. The guitars are locked into a tight chug when the album opens, with electronic flourishes accenting the riffs. "Infernal' has a more Static X-like hammering groove, and you guys have to hand it to them, as they care about songwriting. There is more of a gothy singing vocal on "Don't Wait to ie' but it feels like they are trying too hard to play Welcome to Rockville when it reaches the chorus. It is a big-sounding, well-produced record, though. 

"Shadow of Her Veil" seems like they are intent on keeping moving in this direction. It ends up sounding likea heavier version of The 69 Eyes. It works for me, and I am glad this sort of thing is making a comeback; it feels like we are back in the 90s. "Age of Corrosion' has more of a Ministry thing going on, but as the song progresses, they get more metal. "The Passing" is supposed to be about Peter Steele, but it sounds more like Korn. "Static Prayer' just sounds like most metal from the 90s crammed into one song.

The album ends with two remixes. I never heard their first versions of these, so I am going to count them for the purpose of this review. I can appreciate that they are also into Fields of the Nephilim, though; they speed things up into a frantic flurry of double-time and lose some of the mood. They remixed their cover of 'Wolf Moon,'  which is a little self-congratulatory; his Peter Steele is fairly limited, as it lacks all the nuance. He does go up into a higher belt, which works ok. I've heard worse covers of this song. He is a little pitchy on the chorus. Overall, they are riding a wave of nostalgia that I am here for, so I will give this one an 8.5





pst430

No comments:

Post a Comment