I became aware of this band through the YouTube algorithm, as it was like, "Oh, you like pop oriented nu-metal with hot chick singers? have a look at the tits on this one." So I gave the video a watch. Well done, but following the formula currently being pushed. It was memorable enough for me to check out this album. I did, however, get on YouTube and watch the videos they have for this album first, as they are better to take in visually than just listening to or perhaps one complements the other. The first song I heard from this album was "Crucified," which made me think of the band Issues, though there was a more screamed section at the end. Then it was 'Lead Me to the Slaughter' which is the second song. It has an anthemic chorus.
Their singer Haley has a decent pop voice; when she uses a harsher tone, she sounds like every other metal chick doing this sort of thing, so she needs to place the focus on her singing as she does some intersting things with her melodies. Is she in Courtney LaPlante's league? No. The album sounds good, and they have dialed things in when they went into the studio, for sure. The guitars touch on a little melody and dynamics rather than the more typical nu-metal bouncing chug on the first song. You also get to hear more of her range on this one than the singles. Is it predictable? Yes, but it's a fun listen; not everything has to have Chelsea Wolfe-level depth.
"Bones in the Garden" has more of an electronic thump before the djent-gone nu-metal guitars come in. I like how her vocals are produced on the verse. It's more of an Amy Lee-style turn on the chorus. But their riffs are more intersting and there is less piano here.I already forgot what "Crucified" sounds like, and I just listened to it for songs ago, so that tells me something. I forgot the bass line had a groove to it; there is the thing about making deals with the devil, which comes back to me once it kicks in again.
"Walk on the Moon" is less experimental and more formulaic, which does not capitalize on their strengths thus far, but it doesn't suck either; it just feels very middle of the road. All the screaming won't make it any heavier either. This is where self-awareness goes a long way; I am unsure wha tthey think there is to prove if they are better at pop than trying to be metal. In This Moment, who are better at this alreaddy put out an album this year.
It lets you know Spiritbox is doing something right when you have bands trying to jump on their bandwagon with "Hallowed Ground". They almost pull it off. Starting to get bored with this one, but I only have one more song to get through. It starts off more like a power, then they throw an almost gospel clap into the chorus, which feels too hopeful for me. They do a melodic breakdown in the middle that adds to it though it does not have the same hooky bump as the other songs. Though I get that they need to have a range of dynamics. I will give this one an 8.5; they have potential. Let's just hope they find themselves before this trend washes over, as she could take her singing to the next level with the right songs.
No comments:
Post a Comment