The opening track of this Portland-based band's second album has an oppressive quality. The vocals deviate from what you expect of black metal, and they seem more preoccupied with being heavy than with staying confined to the death metal label. Though they are marginally more death metal than they are metalcore. Though they would be more clearly melodic death metal if there were not a weird dissonance to what they do, which, as chaotic as it is, helps solidify their identity.Almost likea slower Cattle Decapitation at times. The second song winds around more, and I thought they had diverted off into a different song until I looked up at the computer. So focus is not that song's strength.
"Lunar Degenerates": I find the return of the sung vocals, which are more Alice in Chains-like here, as given more space. I like the creeepy feel it reminds me of Acid Bath. "Abysmal Trench" is a great title, of course, but it is also more chaotic than what they have been doing so far and clsoer to metalcore. The title track has more purpose, but it is also more metalcore, but that does not make the name of the genre a bad word as it's not working off the more mainstream, predictable side of it. There is some zaniness on "They Will Miss You " that sound like the Melvins jamming with At the Gates.
"Coma" finds them back in a more crazed state as double bass hammers things into place. Perhaps it gets too crazed for its own good and loses the path of the song, amid mammoth chugging. "Husk" has some purpose to its pound thanks to the bass line; it is one of the album's heavier moments. It makes me think of something Karym Crisis would have been a part of. It grows on me with additional listens. The sung vocals work best on this song. I will give this album a 9 and see how it grows on me. There are some strong vibes but sometimes they get caught up in the chug. They rare progressive metal core is what I came up with.
'
No comments:
Post a Comment