"Dead Inside" is the first song that leans into the shadow to wink at the goth segment of their fan base. It starts a little more like "Bela Lugosi's Dead, " but things get more upbeat once we get to the chorus, and it is an improvement of mood, which was beginning to feel to carefree despite this being a collection of melodramatic break songs. There is a denser electronic pulse to "Object of Desire," and darker synths emerge in places. "In Real Life" is more introspective and melodic, expanding the overall dynamics of the album. Then they get another darker moment for "I'm Not Here"
There is a cold wave feel to the detached mood of "Exploded View." The last song 'Bad Boys," has a Gary Numan vibe to it. The guitar rings out but feels like it sits distant in the mix. The robotic mood is what they were going for, so I guess that it works for what it is, but Gary Numan does this better. I will give this album a 9.5, and see how it grows on me, as it sounds great andd puts them where they need to be as artists, but it will be interesting to watch how this album connects with their expected demographic, as it falls between the cracks: not dark or tense enough to really be goth or post-punk, but not hooky enough to be pop. In ome ways, I think what they are doing here has more in common with a bandd like the Faint. Their current fan base should be into it, so we can see where they go from here. Being released on Artoffact Records who I don’t see doing a major marketing campaign for them.; In fact I had to hunt this one down myself, but as art it's a needed step of maturity for this band.
Thanks for reading. Give a listen to the song below, and please "like" and share on social media to give music a voice
https://www.facebook.com/abysmalhymns
Check out our Podcast here ... https://www.youtube.com/@abysmalhymns666
pst420
No comments:
Post a Comment