Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2026

Movements : "Happiner Now "






The fourth album from this band strikes me as the next evolutionary step from the days of Myspace 'emo". The pop-punk elements are more layered with atmosphere and jangling guitars that create a bigger, arena-sized sound. They are less reflective and more upbeat on the second song. Melodies are at the forefront of what they are doing here. Not the most original sound, but it is more organic than some of the overly produced albums of this type, giving it more authenticity. I am having to listen to this through the lens of someone who is into this kind of thing, as it's too happy for me in the more spirited mometned. I prefer the slight touch of introspective brooding on "Everything is Fine". The vocals are belted with greater power on the chorus here, but I would not call it aggressive or heavy.

That title track emotes with admirable restraint; the bass tone shifts to give it more backbone here, as the vocal cadance dances over it. The pop elements are hard to deny, and certainly take the edge off it, but there is place for this sort of thing. The first screamed vocals that appear are mixed into the background. They pick up the pace for "Flowerbed"; it is clear the bass player is the only one with a taste for heavier music. He is itching for a breakdown. The element of this that calls back strongest to the early 2000s is how emo has been cleaned up for accessibility here. The sub-genre has now been around for 20 years, showing it has staying power. 

"Back in my Ways" is the first song where the formula they have been using starts to feel dull, despite trying to dig into the chorus with more grit. "Ill at Ease" has more drive to it. But it also sounds more like everyone else. "Live By the Sword" carries an interesting tension. The brighter mood of "Everyone I've Ever Been" does not work as well for me. The palm-muted guitar leading the way into "Fragile Hands' sets a better tone for my ears. There is a similar stormy tension to the last song. This is really done; I'll give this album a 9, though there are only so many hours in a day and so much music to listen to. I am unsure if it is an album I will return to much, but if you want new emo-revival music, these guys are doing it well.  Out on Fearless Records

10.6

pst410

No comments:

Post a Comment