Then things go wild on "Strife Eternal," with the beginning of the song feeling like it is more deliberate, as a "Show No Mercy" era Slayer influence cuts through. Though they are pretty steeped in metal tropes that I have been hearing since the 80s, when not caught up in a whirlwind of blast beats, that shines a light on the lo-fi drum sound that guitars have distracted me from up to this point. The Slayer vibes continue on "Sidereal Chaoskamp," but they begin to feel like a more obligatory layer of sound. Sometimes they play too fast for their own good when a more deliberate tempo might come across as both darker and heavier. I can hear where they are trying to go on the last song, but the arrangement could use some tightening in order to make sense of where they are trying to go . Once again, their need for speed gets the best of them. That said, they do care about songwriting when lost in the frenzied blur of their own riffs, and it captures an era of metal I think fondly upon. I will give this one an 8.5 . This album drops on ATMF September 24th.
PST417
No comments:
Post a Comment