Pages

Monday, July 13, 2026

the Garden "Bootleg"





This band had been buzzing around the post-punk side of the goth scene, and I am a little confused why, as this is just straight-up punk rock with a little tear in their guitar melodies, but still just punk. There is a bit of shadow underlying what they are doing, thanks to the reverb in the otherwise raw production of this album. This sounds like it could have come from 1978, otherwise.The vocals are more melodic on "Pin Drop". They begin flirting with some Halloween moods on "5-Mile Ponytail". The bass line is to thank for the bulk of this, along with the sample running through this song. 

"White Cadillac" has more groove to it. The title track is more of a bouncy punk song. "50's Guy's Eyes" cruise along with the same upbeat level of enthusiasm. There is a sullen element that reminds me of the early Iceage. 'Duck and Cover' finds them banging and clanging through things, in a more lo-fi and reckless manner. The guitar tone was great at the start of the album, and it begins to get kind of jangly by the time we get to "Duck and Cover." You can also hear how they have allowed themselves to be influenced on some level by Turnstille. Hey, a kid has got to make a living. 

The song is typically somewhere within a stone's throw of two minutes, which works well for what they do. The electronic drum sound to "The Mess" adds a much-needed shift in sonic color. The rapped vocals are a little weird. There is a bit of shoegaze atmosphere to "The Kockroach" that ambles along well. "Down Doggy" is more of a punk mess. It's only a minute long. "Flailing on the Tracks" is marginally creepier with its echoing boom. The vocals are more nuanced, which works for me. "Banned From Paradise" is punk with lo-fi electronic elements sprinkled in. The last song is just punk, and it works for what that is. I think if I just went into this expecting a punk album, I might have been mroe satisfied, but I can hear the appeal so I will give it an 8.5.It is being released on Epitaph because it is a punk album.





pst303

No comments:

Post a Comment