Once again, I continue to celebrate my glee for Halloween moving closer. You don't hear many death rock bands that want to be 45 Grave these days, so I am not complaining about this German band. I am curious to hear what else they can do. There is almsot more of a punk feel to the opener." In the Ashes." does not let up on this energy; in fact, they take it to a faster disco beat to add more bounce. It is not as impressive as the opening track but works for what they are going for; a whole album of this might prove tedious."Medici" takes a more Christian Death feel to the riff, but her vocals stay the same.
"Waiting for the Cursed' is true to the Christian Death wave of death rock, almost to a fault. The chorus is the only place where it doesn't sound like "Spiritual Cramp," and I might be generous in that statement."Heirs of Bastet" is much better and carries a groove that feels more like they are doing their own thing, which is something they should lean into. It's the best song so far."In Cotard's Hell" is more on the punk side of what they do.
Things get doomier and darker for "Relic," which is another sound they should continue to dig deeper into. I had to go back and give another listen to "Vanishing From the Insidey ear the first time. A second listen finds it playing too closely to the death rock rule book and not making it their own, which they have already shown me they are capable of. The title track closes the album. The bass line carries more thump and the vocals are marginally catchier, which is all I am really asking for from these baby bats. I will give this one an 8.5; if you are looking for a nuts-and-bolts entry to death rock, this will suffice nicely. They have a great deal of potential; looking forward to hearing more from them as this album earned the ma place on my radar.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment