Pages

Friday, July 24, 2026

Patriarchy : "Appendices EP"






 I loved their last album, so when I opened my email today and found this surprise waiting, I could not wait ti jump into it. The first single, "Lilylicker" approaches what they did on the last album from a different angle, less industiral more electro-trash. It also makes less of an attempt to find its place in today's pop landscape and instead goes back to a place that reminds me more of Lords of Acid. Things get darker on "Bite Marks". The vibe is still sex forward, as this song is more of a rough sex anthem. There is some dynamic ebb and flow to it, and the produiction is both dirty and more refined at the same time.

"Serville" features Witch Club Satan who I assume is adding the guitars to the equation or the gang vocals. It's dynamic , but this more whispered approach that seems to be dominant in this song and carrying over into "Ode" makes me think of Madonna's "Justify My Love". In many ways, that is the vibe of the album, as it's on brand for them.  After listening to the album all the way through, I had to listen to the last three songs again to gather my thoughts.

The second time around, "Serville" clicked for me. The second time around, "Ode" hit me more with the lyrics. It is not as sexual a song, and it's more like Lords of Acid. Then there is a weird disco hook in it. "Hate Fuck" is the odd ball out after the second listen. It almost sounds more like something Yolandi Visser would do if she were making a ballad with Grimes. I will give this one a 9.5 and see how it grows on me, less industrial and more in the electronic slant for sure. Out August 7th.




pst339

No comments:

Post a Comment