Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

JEHOVAH ON DEATH : " Lágrimas de Oro"






This band might be branded as occult rock, which is typically focused on a more retro sound than some of these denser, more modern sounds this Greek band employs. They are very dynamic and work acoustic elements into the songs, not trying to sound like Black Sabbath. The female vocals are rather haunting, though on the opening track sit back as an alto chant. You could almsot think of this as prog rock. Though at just under six minutes, the opening song is the longest, so they do not sprawl things out, which is fine with me. The second song has an almsot 80s metal feel. Though they deviate from this one in the chorus. Lyrically darker than the music; they still have more shadow than your average rock band

For the purpose of this review, I am not counting the guitar interlude before "Catherine Wheel" as a song. It's almost like a Pat Benetar covering "Stranglehold". The multitrack vocals on the chorus are a little over the top and not likely to be replicated live. Though I can hear some Brian May influence on this one. "Suspiria" finds the chorus being more memorable than the verses, which are not dark enough for my liking, but I can hear where the Blue Öyster Cult influence is intended to be. "Blood Madonna" finds them a few notes shy of ripping off "Don't Fear the Reaper," but the song still works even with the anthemic guitar.

"Ride On Ye Furious Host" has a heavier drive to it that flirts with proto-metal. They throw in a decent gallop to throw a guitar solo over. With the title "Lord Let Me Be Your Instrument of Pain," you would think the last song would be heavier. I do like the vocal melody of it, so that balances things out. I will give this album a 9.5. I am glad it is not trying to be Ghost on the Blue Öyster Cult side of the equation.This is the occult rock revival you are looking for . Out on I Void Hanger Records. 


.



pst331

No comments:

Post a Comment