Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Kacey Musgraves : " Middle of Nowhere"

 




She opens the album with a two-step back into country and further from pop. I've heard the singles leading up to this album, so I know it's not going to be a straight-up country album, nor would I want it to be. Though if you have not seen her covering "Coalminer's Daughter" at the Country Music Awards, you should if there are any doubts as to her being a legit country artist. Speaking of singles on "Dry Spell she uses pop smarts in the vocal arrangements while sticking clsoer to country; lyrically, some of her smartest innuendos flourish in this song. 

"Back on the Wagon" has a Conway Twitty-like introspective feel, as she makes apologies for an alcoholic in the lyrics.  "I Believe in Ghosts" is the first song that really feels it could have been on the last album, though it does carry a comfortable level of organic twang."Abilene" has more groove to it; it's pop only if you mean the pre-disco pop of the early 70s.  The production of this album is immaculate. "Coyote" finds Gregory Isakov of "Big Black Car' fame lending his voice. The song works but does not grab me as hard as the first five.

"Lonelist Girl" sort of crosses over in the minimal beat that keeps things moving. Billy Strings joins her for "Everybody Wants to be a Cowboy". It's more of a melancholic sound than what I expect from him, and the guitar solo he plays is rather subtle. "Horses and Divorces" finds Miranda Lambert dueting with her, wehre the other singers have been relegated back to harmony vocals. It's an old school country drinking song.   "Uncertain Tx' works not as original as "Rhinestoned," but I am sure she has always wanted Willie Nelson on an album nad at 83 his appearance is understated and low in the mix. 

I have already heard 'Mexico Honey" and seen the video where she is shaking it in the pink shorts she sings about here. This is everything you could want from her as she brings the smarts of pop hooks combining with legit country instrumentation. This song has dreamy ebb and flow to it. 'Hell On Me" closes the album. It's a more introspective ballad. She takes the melody in less obvious places. I will go ahead and round this up to a 10. At this rate, I might have to rate a seperate country end-of-year list, as I am curious how this album would stack up against the new Chelsea Wolfe. Regardless Kacey has created a smart sext country album that stands on it's own. 




pst342

No comments:

Post a Comment