Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Death is June- Looking Back in Anger at Cannibal Corpse's "the Bleeding"







Going into this album I can say it is my favorite Cannibal Corpse album, perhaps there is a Fisher album that will change my mind.  Fisher is more likely the better vocalist, but we shall see. "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead" is a stronger opener. 'Fucked With a Knife" is also a thrashing ripper. "Stripped, Raped and Strangled' might be the greatest death metal song ever written and I am not joking, The lyrics are the best, the dynamics everything you could ask from the genre. i believe him when he first says he comes alive in the darkness, I know I certainly do. 

"Pulverized" might not have been the best song for them to follow that classic up with as it goes straight for the jackhammer pounding. Now that I have listened to it a few times I can hear how the riffs shift more interestingly than what I have typically given it credit for. The more deliberate "Return to Flesh" might have been a better choice to follow the album's best song. "Pick Axe  Murders" lashes at your ears with a sharp thrashing aggression. It's not the most original moment on the album, but it's effective. I am surprised they have not been canceled for having a song called' She Was Asking For It", rape is a very prominent theme on this album. It is also a good song, which goes a long way with this band's tenacity to stay true to themselves. More than the court of public opinion has come after than and they do not give a fuck. 

The title track has more of a groove for it. In starker contrast "Force Fed Broken Glass"   is more of a rapid-fire pounder. There is a more melodic passage where the guitar solo sits at the end which shows the band has more sonic colors at their disposal. "An Experiment in Homicide" is more deliberate in terms of what these guys do. The last song is almost more punk-like. The guitar solos are way more rock n roll on it.  This is the only one on here I can do without so I will round this one up to a 10. 


pst269

No comments:

Post a Comment