Pages

Monday, August 24, 2026

Twisted Teens : " Florida Water Blues"

 





This duo has gotten a great deal of hype for their jangly take on punk, blending garage boogie with grunge and 90s indie rock. New Orleans is not the place I would expect this to come from, but it makes sense over time. The first song works well, but I am going to need more dynamics as the album progresses, as a full album of this won't work for me. The second song counters this malady but brings in some blues-based clean guitar and more swagger. Yes, it is a step away from punk, but it works. 'Swamp" is the first song that feels more like filler, and the truth is I already have the Viagra Boys who do this better.

The title track has them mumbling along with an acoustic strum that sounds like any band that could be playing any dive bar. They continuethe rockn roll jangle on "Guided Thunder", Part of the problem lies in the vocals, which are the same for every song. Not every one hasto beMike Patton, but I prefer a more dynamic performance in this regard. "Top of the World HwyNo 2" has some atmosphere in the background that marginally help butwe are beginning to hit monotony. "Cncealed Weeping" is not as interesting as "Riding," which has more of a groove and a better vocal performance.

Things continue to be hit of miss as "Business" is an interesting song while "Javelina" feels less inspired even with it's cocuntry influence. "Weather the Season" has more of a 50s feel."Dancer" finds someone coasting over the tension being built. At this point, the vocal totally bored me. It ends with the strum of "Sun Go Down," which is pretty run of the mill. I'll give this a7.5 as it is interesting for what it is for people who are looking for this sort of thing, but it's not my thing.


pst386

No comments:

Post a Comment