Pages

Monday, August 17, 2026

Codex Lovelace : " Galvanized Heart"

 





Here is a weird darkwave project, which, like most darkwave projects, does not think it is darkwave. The guitars do not make it any less darkwave, as plenty of darkwave bands once had guitars it is something I hope makes a comeback. Though it is unlikely this band is the one that is going to spearhead that comeback.  What they do will appeal to a very particular segment of darkwave fans. Most of them will be at Dragon Con or some other fantasy convention that hopefully these guys will find themselves performing at.  They bring a heftier beat on the second song, though the vocals are the aspect I am not a hundred percent sold on, and that will be their goal over the course of this album. They seem to be pitchy in places, and I think a different mix would benefit them. 

"Clorkwork" does not invoke the sound of what I think steampunk would sound like, which in my mind is closer to Rasputina or Heartworms. I appreciate they are bringing a heavier element to the tapestry of sounds they are trying to weave together here. The vocals are more effective when coming from more of a purr.  The higher they are belted, the more margin for error. I think more effects would also play into their favor. "Ada" does have some sounds that are more steampunk to my ears, and a better groove, with an experimental collision of sounds working for them here. Uses more ofa sci-fi theme, that follwos the more techno pulse. It gets weird, but weird works for these gals. They even add an almost industrial thump. 

On "High Rise," when they sing in their alto range is working really well. "The Corps"  has more groove, and the moaned vocals hold more weight in this context. Though the pitchiness is questionable in this place, which is odd as it worked on the previous song. "Alice" finds things getting darker. This is the path they need to be following, though I am partial to darker music. Both girls sing, but one is a better singer than the other; you can hear this in the dissonance when their voices join. I do like they mention the Jabberwocky in the Alice in Wonderland song. 'Vampyre" is a little upbeat to be about Dracula, and this is not the girl who should be singing it. Not all voices are created equal. 

The xylophone sound that is the centerpiece of 'Dollhouse" works well at the steampunk sound they were going for. and they vocals sound fine, so they are just inconsistent. This song is somewhat of a ballad. When it builds, it's one of the album's better beats. The last song also captures the steampunk feel they are going for. The more industiral vibes it goes into work as well as the odd, angular, quirky pulse it carries.  I will give this album an 8.5; there is some fine-tuning that it needed in post-production, but it carries its own charm in the present format. Something like this should be a little strange so you can't fault a girl for that. 





pst377

No comments:

Post a Comment