If you wanted to know what Justin Bieber might sound like if he made Myspace Metal, this is the answer. With that out of the way, we can focus on how hooky these songs are, even if it means compromising what you might expect as heaviness. But not every band needs to be heavy, so if they want to lean into the pop side of things, that is fine if it is who they are. They are not a metal band, so with that expectation taken care we can enjoy this album as "Car Crash "is pretty catchy. These guys would have worked well on one of those "Pop Goes Punk" cover albums. They get moodier andd more melodic on "Needle Eye," which has a pretty anthemic chorus. They follow the path left by bands like Issues. Though they have less attitude.
"Chemical Warfare" is another moody anthem, with less of a hip hop undertone and more of the metal pop punk feel. It begins to sound like they need to break from their formula a bit by the time we get to this one. When he screams, I am not much of a believer, as he looks like he weighs 130 lbs, but when it comes to his almsot androgynous emo whine, I am a believer. Almost everything I said about the previous song could be applied to "Let Down". There is, however, a lower-tuned angular djent riff at one point. Things begin to stall by the time we get to "Misery Loves Company".
They switch it up not in the direction I suspected, as it's a synth wave-like pop-power ballad, on "Incomplete," but it works for me. Vocally, this one is sugary but more impressive than his screaming. Then they are back to the more middle-of-the-road formula. "The Countdown" finds strummed guitar taking over as they go about as hard as Taylor Swift, unless we are talking about "Look What You Made Me Do," then she's going harder. It's pushing the boundaries of how much sappiness I can take. "God Complex" approaches this from a different angle. It's more rock for sure.
It's by "Lost in Translation" that things begin to sound the same, though a solid listen finds this song is not like "Heavy Heart' that follows, though it is more inspired sounding than "Heavy Heart. Then with "Paradox" there is more of an electronic groove taking over. , Though this and the last song find themselves drowning in their own sugar when they would have worked better with a marginally darker atmosphere. Whelp, this album eventually kind of became background music for me, but I appreciate their willingness to fully commit to emo pop hooks. I will give it an 8.
No comments:
Post a Comment