Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

CUTTERRED FLESH : "The Shapes of Hidden Malice"

 



This Czech death metal band is not what I expected going into this album, as there is a more technical feel to their grooves than what I expected from "horror-themed death metal. It is hard to say if this s my thing from the first song alone, as I do like bands with some technical aspects when it comes to death metal; there is not one set rule that I stick to. "Le Horiaa' is more deliberate as things slow down to a more purposeful crunch. I can hear where Cattle Decapitation comparisons could be drawn, though with less of a chaotic vocal delivery and a different atmosphere that creeps up here as synths become more apparent. They have a well-layered guitar presentation I prefer the more creeping aspects than when they go full bore. 

"The King in Yellow" works off a more syncopated groove that works against more frantic flurries thanks to the drumming. The horror aspects can be felt as this song progresses. Not sure how it relates to the work this song is named after, but it's the thought that counts. There is marginally more traditional death metal on "The Willows ", though when it gets more progressive it kinda loses focus and throws a bunch at you. Some of the more crazed blasting does not work as well for me. However, there is no doubt these fine fellows are talented. They have plenty of chops and already have proven they can write a song, but can they be consistent is the question. The angular battery that powers "Mimi-Nashi" at least works better than the previous song. 

'The Feather Pillow' opens with a bunch of blast beats before it begins to find its footing. The drummer is almost playing against the grain of the song here. When it comes to songwriting, the strongest moment so far feels like it is "the Letter U", though even here they eventually erupt into a merciless speed fest.  'The Painted Skin" opens with more purpose in the pounding. This builds into an almost Cannibal Corpse level of brutality. They bring more suited weirdness to " The Colour Out of Space' perhaps not as Lovecraftian in feel as the lyrics should be. I appreciate the nod to my favorite author.. "Bernice," like most of the songs, is possessed by more blasting than it needs.  I will give this a 9 as it is not my preference for death metal but even then there are song sand moments I enjoyed, so they won me over enough to know death metal fans into this sort of thing will love this album.Drops November 11th on Transcending Obscurity.  



pst381

No comments:

Post a Comment