This New York-based band does a great job of blending dream-pop and darkwave, with jangling Cure-stained guitars and ethereal vocals that are well-produced. In fact, the overall production helps set them apart from the bulk of bands I have heard while preparing for this month. It is not the darkest sound, but I would rather hear this presentation of who they are than the same old reverb-heavy Bat-cave wannabe mix that you hear from most of the revivalist bands who are more concerned with capturing a sound of an era than being who they are.
This might not be the witchy band of the month, but they are one of the msot interesting ones. They cast a similar hypnotic spell with the languid wall of crystal guitars as the Cocteau Twins, but without trying to be the Cocteau Twins; granted, Elizabeth Fraser is not as imitated as Siouxsie, but it does happen from time to time. The second song has a darker shade of gray to its melancholy. 'Salbrume" has a more electronic feel in the vein of Chrvches, bt it's an instrumental, which seems weird for a four song ep but ok, it works well enough. I would prefer another song with vocals, as in some ways, I wish this was full length, but it's better to get the digestible-sized portions than wear out one's welcome.
The last song, "Insect Lament," is also the longest. It's more atmospheric and surreal than the other song; this comes with a somewhat more smokescreened mix that the bass line warbles under. I will give this one a 9.5, it plants them firmly on my radar as a band to keep in my periphery and see where they go from here. This album is more of a winter wonderland than Halloween, but works for what it is.
pst478
No comments:
Post a Comment