Pages

Friday, October 2, 2026

Gothtober- Exhuming Tunes with Christian Death's "Ashes"







This 1985 classic is an all-too-forgotten album with some real deep-cut bangers, including one of my all-time favorite songs by the band. It's the second and final studio album that was a collaboration between Williams and Valor. It's also very experimental.  It opens with the title track that lingers, with piano setting the mood for Rozz's poetic musings. Gitane's vocals chime in to add an almsot gospel flair; this song rocks out pretty hard, taking rock n roll and twisting it into their image. After this is a more experimental sound excursion. 

"When I Was Bed" is one of my all-time favorites from the band, which I discussed on the podcast that you can have a listen to here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUDqbCl-E6w&t=159s

So the first two actual songs raised the bar pretty high for this album already. Gitane plays a larger role on this album. This can be heard on "Lament". The song turns into an odd polka ballad. Not surprising they would be fans of the musical "Cabaret," as there has always been a bit of Joel Gray in the shadows of goth. "Face' kicks in to remind you they have not forgotten their old aggressive punk roots. Rozz spits out his vocals with renewed attitude that I appreciate."The Luxury of  Tears" is more atmospheric, with an abundance of the elegance that defines goth. This is when they took the turn from a death rock band to a goth band. The last song ends things in the more surreal collage of sound and poetry, with babies crying and all manner of moaning, witch cackles along with other assorted dissonance. Not really a song, but I get why he goes off into this excursion and why they are important in the presentation. With this in mind, I will give this album a 10. 


pst469

No comments:

Post a Comment