Pages

Monday, October 5, 2026

Gothtober- Exhuming the Tunes with Christian Death's " Sex and Drugs and Jesus Christ"






Their sixth album really recaptures the magic of Rozz Willaims original vision while continuing on the path that Gitane opened for them of making dark gospel music of sorts. The songwriting is the most focused since Rozz left the band, with songs like 'Hersey" holding its own even against the "Only Theater of Pain " classics. I  think it becomes clearer as Valor's croon becomes more focused that he is actually a better singer than Rozz in terms of range and power; Roz just has the charisma. Much like the Dio andd Ozzy comparison when it comes to Black Sabbath. His melodies are certainly more thoughtful when it comes to "Wretched Mankind."

His best vocal performance that really drives this point home can be heard on "Tragedy". It might also be the album's best song. Dark and dynamic, with a more memorable riff than most.  Up to this point, they have not really been a riff-oriented band. I think that is what I like about Valor: he brings a more metal influence to this project. "Erection" does not get it up until tow minutes in, and then Gitane takes control of it. Gitane belts it out likea female Danzig here. "Ten Thousand Hundred Times" is driven by a more industrial beat as the music broods over it. "Incendiary Lover" moves with more ofa punk shuffle that is textbook death rock. In doing this series, I have gained a new appreciation for Gitane. 

"Ketzerei" is almost likea industrial remix of "This is Heresy' which works for me. The more aggressive guitar is cool. I can only imagine that the title "Window Pain" is a wink at the brand of LSD. The songs also seem like some LSD is going on. I have to think that after covering Jimi Hendrix, they have an appreciation for the drug, though I never figured out the exact drugs referenced in the album title. Whatever drugs they are on cause the song to wander off. The stay tripped out on "The Third Antichrist" and keep wandering in ambient noise. They pull it together to close the album with the Gitane-sung "This is Not Blasphemy," which carries a slinky noir-ish groove. I will give this album a 10, as the more avant-garde sound baths are balanced out with great songwriting.  

/ 9 
pst477

No comments:

Post a Comment