Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2026

'Gothtober - Exhuming the Tunes with Christian Death's "The Rage of Angels"

 





Here is the final chapter of Rozz Williams Christian Death era, as he killed himself four years later. With its title, you would expect this to be an angry album. There is more spite in the spoken-word opening track. But it is more of a sprawling intro than a song unto itself. Lost Minds" is closer to the organic punk of the first album, but it is a little more upbeat, not angry.  Not the mood for someone about to ride the downward spiral. "Still Born Still Life" is also more punk. It works for me, and while it is not the best-sounding work he did in the 90s, I appreciate where it is trying to go.

I have not spent much time with this album so this refresher course is showing me how wrong I was for not doing so; it's one of the closer moments to their classic era, even with the chaos of "Sex".  "Her Only Sin" is the first song that misses the mark, with a silly guitar melody running through it. "Bad Year" finds him back on track with the sound we want to uphold the band's legacy.  It might be my favorite song from this album. I do like the riff of "Torch"; it's almsot metal. The second part of "Still Born/ Still Life" is pretty cool and a great snapshot of what death rock should be. 

"Procession" is another very dark and cool song that upholds the band's legacy and helps to give Rozz a better farewell. There is a cool doom riff s erving as its backbone. A cool song that upholds the band's legacy and gives. I guess it's fitting that a cover of Bowie's "Panic in Detroit " should be the last song. Hr doesn't try to be Bowie, but does his own version of it. I will round this up to a 10 as there is just the one silly song that is the blemish, but ome of the other awesome moments balance it all out. 




PST490

No comments:

Post a Comment