Monday, March 13, 2023

STAHV : "simple mercies"







Maybe there is a DJ out in Seattle who is not afraid of music with instruments. They are likely bumping this album at their goth night while , those of us on the east coast might just have to endure the same old Front 242 songs. Solomon sets the bar high for himself on the opening song, which has a really strong vocal melody. He at times sounds like Iggy Pop. The production could be a little dialed in , but the rough and raw mix presented works in the same wacky way it worked for bands like Psychic TV. It takes three songs before my ear goes to the crude sound of the drum machine. But considering how these sort of projects are paying homage to a certain time period the lo-fi production works with the goal. 

I like the more metallic riff that leads into "Snake Key". This creates a perhaps unintentional death rock feel. There is a serpentine swagger to the song that works well, while embracing the weird grunge vibes. Things got weird like this going into the 90s so I support it. Along with the odd bounce of the verses. "My Riddle Finger" has interesting lyrics to accompany it's menagerie of odd sounds. The album ends with a more reflective brooding . "Too Far to See" finds trippy elements , taking this in a more spacey direction than anything you might think of as goth, leaving bands like Legendary Pink Dots or Psychic TV as the only drugged out weirdos who are sharing this side of the sonic spectrum with him. 

I am leaving this album with a good feeling about his work here. I would like to hear this songs re-recorded with a producer at the helm giving them the scope of sound they are asking for, but in this incarnation as presented here, it still works, I just hear what these songs could be. At times I hear this louder than others. The mix is funny, in terms of where the vocals sits. I think his voice is interesting and I would like to hear these vocals inflections sit on the music with more nuanced resonance. But with that said he is a great song writer who is making dark adjacent music in a manner that is original so I applaud him for it and give this album a 9.  

No comments:

Post a Comment