Thursday, March 23, 2023

Depeche Mode : "Memento Mori"






 7 years have passed since the release of  "Spirit" .  Album number 15 finds the duo of Gahan and Wilder more inspired than they have been since "Ultra". Andy Fletcher's death gave the writing process more depth and meaning. Adversity it what it takes for the creative fires to burn the brightest since "Ultra' marked the departure of Alan Wilder and Gahan hitting a bottom with his substance issues. The opening track is dark and brooding with an almost industrial pulse to the droning bass line. At 60 Dave's voice sounds refreshed. I had begun to worry about him after the flaccid cover of "Nothing Else Matters" he contributed to the "Black Album" tribute. Here his croon is just as rich as it has always been. "Wagging Tongue" finds them back with the kind of emotive electronica that they have been known for since the earliest days of their career. 

"Ghosts Again" was one of the first singles from the album, but I waited to hear it in the context of the whole album. The pulse of its groove works for me, and it proves a suitable sonic playground for Gahan to sing over, so when the beat really kicks in it is icing on the cake. I do not ask for much when it comes from these guys, I do not want them too happy. I want Dave's voice to sound good and from there, I am pretty flexible about what happens. I would prefer some guitar, but good songs will compensate. The sounds are more akin to "Violator" if I had to pick one of their albums to compare the song to. I got the guitar I wanted on "Don't Say You Love Me" . They are both steamy and sullen here, which is the perfect combination for my taste buds. 

I like the way "My Favorite Stranger' moves, would say it is unlikely to make its way in DJ's playlists for 'goth" nights, but deserves to.  Gore takes over the mic for "Soul With Me" and finds that his voice has held us just as well as Dave's. "Caroline's Monkey" is the first song that might have to grow on me. At first, it felt like filler, but I warmed up to it. "Before We Drown" encapsulates what they do well, so as a song it works for me. From it's title I hoped "People Are Good' would not be them winking back at "People Are People". Instead it's a fine dance song, about his darkening perspective on humanity. There is more reflecting yearning on "Always You". Lyrically today's bleak world is the backdrop, which works well, as continues to hold to the album's thematic arc. 

The groove stays strong with the bass line of "Never Let Me Go" set against the more rock-oriented single-note guitar line. It has been some time since we have heard them writing this strongly. Gahan adds more of a rock edge to his voice as well to make its emotional impact hold more weight. They close with the ballad "Speak to Me". Which is consistent with what they normally do. When I listened to this song with headphones, I got a better picture of the mix and the interesting sounds allowed to swirl in it. I will give this album a 10, as it picks up where they left off on "Ultra" and makes for a logical new chapter. If this is the album they choose to end things with I would not blame them as this would be a high note to end it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment