Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Majesties : "Vast Reaches Unclaimed"






Here is much  hyped debut album by a band  comprised of members of Obsequiae and Inexorum. They are melodic death metal. Lots of guitar harmonies racing around. Often called melodeth it feels like a cross between thrash and methed out Iron Maiden when it comes to the intricate riffing. The speed and aggression has the most in common with death metal. The vocals stay at a mid range rasp, screaming more than growling.  I can hear where the appeal in what they do lies, but can assure you this does not merit the praised I have seen lavished on this band. They fall rather closely to the more technical days of Death. Though without the shredding solos. There is also some more feral about how they lash out.

The main problem is all the songs sound the same, The vocals bear a great deal of the blame, but also the band tends to play at one speed that creates a very monochrome dynamic. It is too the point that it makes it hard to review this album because you can never tell where one song begins and the other ends. Sure there are some epic riffs here and there and upon occasion they let things ebb down and create a melodic passage or two, but it is not enough to really make the songs stand out. It is not enough for me to take note and look up from what ever I am doing because something hooks my attention. All that's offered it a static wall of thrashing major key riffs washing over my ears. 

The next thing I know I am already at "Temporal Anchor" and I am thinking "Oh, Great this will be over soon! "The blur of riffing is monotonous and rarely finds the journey made worthwhile. "City of Nine Gates' is probably the album's strongest moments as it is held together by the most memorable riffs that captures more of a groove. I will give this album a 6.5 as it is well crafted and played but the songs remain the same. I guess some people are into it, I am not impressed . 20 Buck Spin must be since they are releasing it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment