Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Shape of Despair : "Return to the Void"








Taking another break from the black metal theme of the month to write about this album I have been looking forward to from Finnish Funeral Doom Masters Shape of Despair. One of my favorite bands from one of my favorite sub - genres. They continue to not be bound within the confines of the sub-genre in terms of the sonic colors brough to the table in the song writing process yet are very consistent in being consistent for their fans. Sure, there is a doom gazing element to the ambiance of how this song coasts, but it works well. The second song glides out of the opening track and into the second as the atmosphere creates a uniform drone. The melodies with in it are rather subtle and a lower growl takes over the narrative. The female vocals offering a counter point. It is darker than the first song.  

The guitar to "Solitary Downfall" has a more oppressive heaviness to its weight. This gradually dissipates into the dreamy haze with the vocals come in like mournful choir. The melodies are minimal with an intent more to hypnotize. There is a n ebb and flow the drummer is laying back and just doing enough to steer the ship. The formula is reversed for "Reflection in Slow Time".  I cannot tell if I am not depressed enough or too depressed, but it is going to take a little while for some of this to grow on me. They have collected all the sounds I like music to have, but yet to really be hooked i, though I enjoy what I have heard from this, and continue to listen to it.   

"Forfeit" is the first song whose emotions click for me. It reminds me of Witnesses so some extent. The thick haze of ambiance is there for you to gaze into, but everything clicks fully into place where the previous songs are great sonically but drone more. "Inner Desolation" has that more Type of Negative feel when it comes to the depressive nature of what they do that first drew me to this band. Things break all the way down at the five-minute mark and from that point on it could have been a new song rather than an over 11 minute one, but oh, well, not a major thing. As of right now I will give this album a 9.5 and see how it grows on me, it is a pretty stunning piece of work overall.   


No comments:

Post a Comment