Sunday, February 6, 2022

Black Metal History Month - Impaler : "If We Had Brains... We'd Be Dangerous"

In 1986 when this album came out this was the most unhinged thing I had heard.  "Master of Puppets" was out, and I like it, but sounded like a cross between Motorhead and Iron Maiden to me, this album had more of a punk feel. When I asked the older guy who worked at the record store intown what was the evilest record he told me this one, but I had to order it from Combat Records since they did not have it in. This elusive quality probably added to the mystique.  Let's face it this is heavier than what you were listening to at 11.   "Bloodbath" opens the album falling somewhere between thrash and death rock, thanks to the whine of vocals. Having not listened to this album for at least 30 years, I forgot how it sounds kind of like Death Angel, though this came out a year before "Ultra Violence". There is a raw unhinged quality not unlike Black Metal of today, think bands like Midnight or Destroyer 666.  

"City in Chains" also falls along the almost punk lines. A little more snarl and this would not be far removed from Darkthrone's. 'Wasteland" is a better song as there is a dark sleazy quality to the guitar, in some way the moan of the vocals reminds me of Celtic Frost. I think the punk qualities of this album aged well and I am glad I went back to listen to this. There cover of the Stooge's "Search and Destroy" works though the vocals are the weak spot as you cannot match Iggy's deliver on that one.  The guitarist and the drummer are the best of the bunch with this band, the guitarist nails the solos on this one. In 1986 there were not a ton of bands covering the Stoogers. "Assassin" is more punkish though it does carry a metal edge, but is Venom relay any heavier than what is going on here? It is a better song than "Speed Thrills", though I can appreciate the more feral snarls the vocals crack into. The heaviest song might be "Witch Queen". The bass finally steps up and adds some heft. 

Things get even more punk on "Dancing of the Edge". Then "Metal Messiah" is pretty much straight up thrash.  Overall, this album is actually better than I remember it, not sure if it is good enough to make the top 10 black metal albums of the 80's list that I am working. Gratned there are some weaknesses that I am not letting a sense of nostalgia blind me to as it can get sloppy at times, so I will give this an 8.5.   








No comments:

Post a Comment