Saturday, February 19, 2022

Black Metal History Month- BÂ'A : "Egrégore"







 This French band is no stranger to the heritage of black metal their country is known for. The vocalist used to be in Anorexia Nervosa , so that have that going for them. What they have going against them is the fact I got this album the same week I got the new Watain. As far as 2022 goes Watain is the album to beat when it comes to black metal. So, this and every black metal album I review for the rest of the year is going to be measured against it. These guys sound as if they are every bit as serious as Watain is about making black metal, but how are they as songwriters is the first question I am going to ask after my ears stop ringing from the powerful first track that hit like a storm.  They let some cold chilling chords ring out, but otherwise are not bringing anything new to black metal sonically.  I like the eerie tones the guitar creates toward the end of the second song but needed more of that overall. 

They hit with with a frosty sounding blur of anger on "Bellum". While they have a sound that is black metal, the actual song writing takes a back seat to the sound. I like how samples are later introduction to shift the narrative later in the song, but actual music does little to aid the effort. The depressive throb of "Fames" is much more effective and captures the mood that I listen to black metal for. Anorexia Nervosa would be a band that fell into the sub gerne of depressive black metal, so those vibes are strong here though as a whole this album is more of a straight-ahead black metal album.  

After the break for depressive reflection in the shadows they are back raging out you with all the fire of a burning church, it takes three minutes before a dynamic shift occurs and then it simmers in the darkness for a bit. The album ends with a more color by numbers song that steps slightly left of the darker more depressive sounds that I like form these guys. I will give this album an 8.5, it is better than what I expected from them, if you were a fan of Anorexia Nervosa you will like this even if it is not as depressive. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment