Saturday, April 1, 2023

Loud as Giants : " Empty Homes"

 






Justin K Broadrick is the reason I am pressing play. His name also brings to mind a huge span of sonic possibility when you consider the distance from Jesu to Godflesh. Both projects I like in equal measure, however, Godflesh is more song focused, where Jesu has drifted out into it's atmosphere and disappeared at some points in time. Justin is joined by Dirk Serries from Fear Falls Burning. This project leans in a shoe gazing direction giving it much more in common with Jesu. The first song proves to be  pleasing to the ears, but not really breaking any rules, barriers or new ground in terms of post-rock. It drones with melody in mind, but is not really blowing me away , kinds fades into thee background of my morning. 

The fact I am listening to this on Soundcloud, allows me to watch the sound wave graphic to see when things are going to happen, with the second song, this means I could skip ahead another few minutes , but I allow my self to be washed in the white noise. There is an electronic pulse very low in the mix. The remember their distortion pedal for this, giving a more ominous storm cloud feel. One of the components I measure albums by here is by asking the question is this more about the sound or the song? Since turning the right knobs and clicking the right plug-ins can give anyone the right sound. Writing a song takes more talent. I know these guys can write songs since I am a fan of their previous work so I know this is what they are choosing to do. In the last three minutes the drum programming gains a little more industrial heft, though buried in the wave of effects. 

After almost three minutes of swirling drone "Room Three" begins to kick in with it's electronic beat. But then for the next 9 minutes it does not go anywhere from there. It's like a cool idea that was not further developed more than it is a song. The last song "Isolation' is bleaker as the title implies. There are more layers that emerge, but it is also more of a drone than not. I will give this album a 7, as it feels good and is easy background music, but not in the way of songs as it takes you somewhere, but does not go anywhere from that point. 



No comments:

Post a Comment