Sunday, September 13, 2020

Uniform : "Shame"








I get it industrial music is cool again. When the new Napalm Death came out every one started shouting that is sounded like Killing Joke. As someone who actually listens to Killing Joke I did not hear it.  These guys were once thought of as more post-punk, but they felt like a rock between noise rock and punk to me. Those elements are still in play but with more metallic guitar. The vocals also have more effects on them. They have always had a great deal of drive. We get into more sludge like noise going into "the Shadow of God's Hand". No matter where these guys have fallen sonically I can say I like this better than what I have heard from them in the past. They start thrashing out with a harsh filter of abrasive nosie and feed back coating the mix.

They pick up the pace for "Life In Remission" . The add electronic sounds in a more overt fashion on the title track. It's one of the more dynamic and melodic performances I have yet to hear from the band. The effects really make this guy's voice more tolerable. It ome times reminds me of Lard. Heavier chugs and more incessent feed back squeals at you on "All We've Ever Wanted" .  Aside from the feedback this song is pretty decent but that is beyond annoying to endure. "Dispatches From the Gutter" finds them descending into more noisy chaos that is reined in by a very cool riff. There are no real surprises with the beating they give you on "This Won't End Well".  It is in the smae sonic circle they have been in for a few songs now.

However the noise they kick up on the last song reminds me more of Liturgy at first before converging into a ripping metal riff. Then it goes back into the weird balst beat section. I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt since this is the hardest I have heard them try and on every level they have improved. The vocals are still in my opinion the weak link , but they are produced in a way that I can handle. If you like abrasive industrial influenced noise rock with metal tendencies these songs are going to be what you have looked for .


No comments:

Post a Comment