Friday, September 11, 2020

Henrik Palm : "Poverty Metal "





A former member of In Solitude is always going to warrant a listen from me. They are a band I still mourn the loss of. I need to make sure I have hunted down every project that broke off from that band since they disolved. This opens with a trippy peace of dark disonance that still manages to become a song. This is the second abum, so not sure how I missed out on the first. The second song is more grandiose and psychedelic, not as dark or heavy as the opener . The prog inflections continue with "Concrete Antichrist". Female vocals join in. There is more of a creepy 60s feel to this one.

"Given Demon" has more heft to it. It is not metal. The beat kind of bounces in a happier direction that expected/ The vocals sound very British , despite being Swedish. The tumbling bass of "Destroyer" provide more opprotunity for heavy. It is more typical of psyche influence proto-doom, though not as heavy as say Electric Wizard. I appreciate it for being darker . Not that this abum has been all that up beat to this point. There are moments when his voice rminds me of Roger Waters . The break down into an acoustic ballad sound for "Nihil " that is layered with piano. There is a very nice guitar melody added over it. It is not a song that I will really feel compelled to listen to multiple times , but appreciate where they go with it.

This answered by the heavier 'Nihilist" . The verses easse back to allow for the less crazed tone of the vocals . "Last X-mas" which is not the Wham song, creeps out of the previous song and is mpore motivated by doom which I am fine with . This batch of proto doom prog, is a lot of darkly trippy fun I will give it a 9 . Being released on Svart Records.


No comments:

Post a Comment