Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Marilyn Manson : "We are Chaos"




Was reading an interview with Manson today. He spoke about how this album is a collaboration with Shooter Jennings. Uh what ? In this day and age there is no shorage of things for him to feel angsty about. The album opens with a tripped out spoken word thing very much like "Portrait of an American Family". When the song kicks in , it's very bass driven. I do like that there is more of a metallic edge to the guitars . I was expecting something more rock n roll. But I am fine with this! The title track however is the kind of rock n roll I though we were going to be getting into . It might have more of a glam touch that recalls " Mechanical Animals" , though not a bleak or dark as that album.

Manson said Bowie was an influence on this album , I can vaguely hear it on " Don't Chase the Dead" . It is a song that I had to listen to 3 or 4 times before it sunk in. Bowie is not the only 70s glam icon he draws from as "Paint You With My Love" has a major T-Rex vibe. I like how the piano helps build the groove to " Half Way & one Step Forward".  His voice might not be as great as it was on " Mechanical Animals" but it is one of his best preformances. He is actualy trying to sing in places. "Infinate Darkness" returns to the rowdier Manson you might be looking for. The song still has dynamics and doesn't find him relentlessly screaming , but falling back to brood.

We make it all the way to " Perfume" before there is any mention of Satan. The layers of vocals might be excess but over all I like the mood of the song. It has a sexy strut to it. There is more of a late 90s Placebo like feel to " Keep My Head Together". I like how the electronics are blended with the more organic instrumentation. I like all the elements in place for " Solve Coagula" . This is one of his most melodic albums. The song goes off into a some what jammy section. This and many other of the songs on this album have a strong sense of dynamics. This song might be the most noticeable sign of his collaboration with Shooter. The album closes with a strummed acoustic ballad. It is not the best song on the album , but it works and we do not hear him do a great deal of that kind of thing. I think this album almost works the best when he steps the furthest out of his comfort zone. I wil give this album a 9.5 and see how it grows on me. As it is I am impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment