Thursday, August 15, 2024

Left to Suffer : "Leap of Death"





Things have changed for the band. They are moving into the Big Leagues and trying to make an album that is more accessible to mainstream metal audiences. Alejandro Aranda otherwise known as Scarypoolparty provides vocals so poppy that I thought I downloaded the wrong album. While their last album "Feral" has some nu-metal influence that has been pushed further upstage they have a sound that is closer to that of other more mainstream bands in the metal core genre. They do get heavier on the second song which was a collab with Pale Face Swiss. "Will Take My Breath" finds them leaning into more of the big arena-ready stomp. Sung vocals return, and these might have been taken a step too far. Ten56 collaborated on this with them, but I always think of those guys being darker than this. 

"Forsaken" feels more death metal-like in its attack. The higher-pitched vocals are more scathing. I appreciate that they are more melodic now, and this song proves they have plenty of balls, but it feels like they are more like everyone else now. I can't shake this feeling even on songs like this that work despite the stylistic shift. The grooves on "Forsaken" are pretty tight and I think I might be ok if they had become this kind of death metal band.  The pop singing is back on 'Slow Talk". It feels like it dilutes it a little too much and I am a guy who prefers actual singing. It sounds good for what it is, but it also does not sound like the band. 

I think some of these melodic touches would have worked better out of the added vocals. I mean are these other singers going to tour with them? They would have to pull this off.  I like the lyrics, but the original vocal style would have only required nominal changes to work just as well, and maintain more of their identity as a band. I don't like Sleep Token as it is, and I do not need these guys to try to turn into them. Unlike Sleep Token when they do kick things in they fucking mean it. "Give them Death" begins to find the clean vocals beginning to diminish the impact of their weight crunch. They are heading back in the death metal direction, though by way of a metal core breakdown. 

This album is well produced, almost too much so. However, the sound captured here is larger than before, so if this was your first time hearing these guys it might be a deceptive portrayal of who they are as a band, though it could be argued that since they made this album this is who they are now, so it feels more like who they want to be. The last song supports this as you can hear the band that made 'Feral" buried under the layers of multitracked everything. I will give this album an 8.5, as it's good, it just does not feel like they are being honest with their audience, however, to be fair I have not listened to any interviews with them and maybe they are like "Hell, yeah we are making our most accessible album yet". I feel a little disappointed but can't deny the album sounds good for who they are now. 


pst400

No comments:

Post a Comment