Monday, January 8, 2024

Slope - "Freak Dreams"






 Remember when the Red Hot Chili Peppers did not suck? I do and so does Slope. They have their own uplifting mofo party plan. I think their unique approach should catch on as Turnstile proved audiences are ready for more grooves and tired of the same old same old. "It's Tickin" proves that the band is not just living off of the nostalgia for 90s funk rock, though it does have doses of that as well. This is not the first time we have heard bands take this route, but it's been a while since bands like Fishbone, 24-7 Spyz, and to a lesser extent Mordred ruled the mosh pit. The two-minute "Chasing Highs" almost thumped its way past me before I could form an opinion about it. After a second listen I think it works for what they do.

"Nosedive" shows they have some hardcore influence, which comes more to the forefront, though I am more convinced they are into grooves at this point than able to offer any kind of beat down. "Hectic Life" is less focused in what they want to do. They seem more sure of themselves on "True Blue" though should reconsider jacking RHCP lyrics in the future. "NBQ" has a more metallic riff driving it. They also dig up some breakdowns for the occasion. "Why SAD" feels a little more like filler despite the fact it has more solid balls to it. The singing that supplements the rapping works well, despite being a little pitchy. 

"Ain't Easy" is one of the album's best songs as it has a fun balance of funk and metal. Things are given plenty of space in the arrangement to stand out. "Freak Dreams" is very well written and works to the band's strengths. Why I suspect that these guys used to be a hardcore band that grew away from that kind of music, when they return to it on the last songs, it makes me wonder if they could not cut it as a hardcore band so this seemed to be the next smart move. I will give this album an 8.5, to see how it grows on me, but it is a great deal of fun. I would have been a bigger fan of it in the 90s. It drops on Century Media, who has seen the writing on the wall regarding the 90s revival. 



pst8

No comments:

Post a Comment