Saturday, May 13, 2023

Louise Post : "Sleepwalker"






The Former Veruca Salt front woman has pumped out another solo album that finds she still has it at 55. Youthful enthusiasm drove Veruca Salt's sound and the first two songs of this album find that there is no shortage of that here. That is not to say they did not have their share of reflective ballads as well, so "What About" carries on that tradition and proves to be equally compelling. It helps that I used to be a big fan of the band's first two albums, so it strikes a certain nostalgic place for me. The attitude that was under the sugar coating of Post's voice is still present. This is not a continuation of Veruca Salt's 90s alt rock, there are excursions into moody pop on "All Messed Up" which is not as focused at the first three songs. I prefer the darker post-punk tension that fuels the verses of "Killer". The chorus bursts into something that would not have been out of place with her former band.

The formula for this album seems to be a song that recalls her earlier days, then a more experimental pop song. The pop songs are typically not as strong as her rock moments. I understand the need to try different things, while known for "Seether" their biggest hit was not a fair indication of the whole album as they covered a range of sound. Not opposed to her trying this on as sometimes it works well , this can be heard on "Secrets". I think the key is for the guitar to be the centerpiece then the other sounds coloring the song around it. "All These Years" floats with a sparse bass that does not give the song the back bone it needs. Her vocals do this instead and the song still works, but I am measuring her songwriting here against what she has already shown herself capable of doing. 

"Don't Give Up " has more of a Smashing Pumpkins like movement to it. She finds her voice still full of the personality that gave Veruca Salt it's charm . "God I Know" is a  languid ballad that goes heavy on the ambiance. It contrasts the upbeat mood she closes the album out on the last song. I will give this album a 9 and see how it grows on me, perhaps I hear it with nostalgia ringing in my ears , even when she steps out of expectations , she is effective as a songwriter, it just might not be the Veruca Salt album under a another name I wanted , which has more to do with my expectations than where she is as an artist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment