Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Looking Back in Anger at Ratt's "Reach for the Sky"









I was turned off by "Way Cool Jr" as it moved away from metal into a more rock n roll sound with things like horns and blues guitar on it. By 1988 Ratt, did not need to turn back from the direction they were heading on the previous album. My interests shifted toward Slayer and King Diamond by 1988. Ratt moved in the opposite direction. Something just did not sit well with me on this one. My instincts were right, as the band began recording this with Mike Stone, and the record label had to send in old faithful Beau Hill to fix things, making me wonder where are the original Mike Stone tapes. Listening back "Way Cool Jr" is better than I remembered but the rest of the album sounds like they were trying to re-heat leftovers. There is a little more edge on "Bite the Hand that Feeds" , but it's a happier rock album. 

They steered away from the power ballad formula until " I Want to Love You Tonight" which is still not as cheesy as some of the power ballads from this era. But the clean guitar tones are much different on this album. "Chain Reaction' is the first song that sounds like it came from the band who made "Dancing Undercover" as it is more high energy , but not as inspired. "No Surprise' is a hidden gem on this album, as it is one of the more inspired moments that recalls their classic sound, though marginally more streamlined. 

"Bottom Line" feels more like filler, the chorus is kinda weak. They are trying harder to remember who they are on "What's it Gonna Be" . There is more cock in their rock on "What I'm After" which has a more middle of the road feel to it despite this fact.  I will give this album an 8, it is better than I remember and not the drastic departure it seemed to be on it's release, but is not at the peak of their powers. 





No comments:

Post a Comment