Sunday, February 12, 2023

Bosco Sacro: "Gem"







 This quartet out of Italy plays a very dark and atmospheric kind of music that is hard to pin down. Originally I checked this out for Black Metal History month, and while I have seen this album categorized as such on a couple websites , I am not hearing in two songs in . There is more in common with neo-folk or goth than black metal, sure those genre'/s share some common ground with black metal at time, but they are not one and the same. The first songs is more droning and it is not until the second song is when things really begin to heat up. The singer uses her voice like an instrument, which I am a fan of rather than verse / chorus pop structure to songs. Artists like Dead Can Dance and Kate Bush , are a fair  measure of what is going on here, which is a compliment in and of itself. 

The singer's alto which can be both ghostly and ominous, is the driving for of their sound. There is more of a Cocteau Twins like sound to the vocals on "Fountain of Wraith" . Spoiler alert it is a good sign that I am bringing some of my favorite artists to mind as I listen to this album. However when it comes to how much mileage I get out of this one in weeks to come that remains to be seen. Things are darker and more dynamic as we begin to hear more of her upper register on "Emerald Blood" which is bewitching in it's own way. The song it self is not as droning as the opening track, but perhaps the second most hypnotic. 

There is a more melodic throb to "Les Abres Rampants" .  Her voice is more emotive and brings Zola Jesus to mind. Dynamic without adhering to the formula of pop culture's soundtrack. The last song is more of an outro than an actual free standing song at under two and a half minutes. It just pulses without actually coming to life. I will give this album a 9.5, not sure how many spins I will give it out side of tonight's listens, and the fact I already have so many artists in this wheelhouse., but the spectacular job to creating this can not be denied and a must for those into dark atmospheric folk.




No comments:

Post a Comment