Friday, February 17, 2023

Black Metal History Month- All Out War :" Celestial Rot"





 Having just reviewed the new Sam Smith album, I was ready to cleanse my palate with blackened hard core. As imagined there is a great deal of Slayer influence in the guitar playing and the drums are blast heavy. The snarl of the vocals , could already use some variation and this is the conclusion I came to only two songs in. That does not bode well. I can only imagine what some one who this is their favorite band is like, and you know it is always some ones favorite band. By the third song a great deal of mindless head banging could take place as the more deliberate thrashing sections as pretty effective.

 "Hideous Disdain" just kind of blasts right past me making "the End is Always Near " carries a more deliberate stomps which offers a better perspective on the marriage of hard core and black metal. By the time we get to "Caustic Abomination" it strikes me how much these guys are like Ringworm. Perhaps not as thrashing and a darker dissonance to their black metal side. The dig into that darkness more as this song progresses. "Revel in Misery" blasts past you with a great deal of feral energy and an almost death metal aggression. The dissonance that haunts the fringes of their sound is the most interesting part. When they are not caught up in the their need for speed things get interesting. The title track has ample amounts of death metal influence to it.

"Weaving Oblivion" pounds pretty much a straight ahead path . It follows the rule of this album that when they slow down it can be a pretty powerful experience. "Sound of Heaven" feels like an extension of the previous song as things begin to bleed together. I will give these guys an 8, I think I have been pretty clear about what works and what doesn't I think the dark aggressive feel works best when tempered with the atmospheric darkness. 




No comments:

Post a Comment