Friday, March 25, 2022

Placebo : "Never Let Me Go"






 2006's "Meds" was the last album I was into by this British glam band. By into I mean listened to every moment of the day as these guys were once numbered among my favorite bands. "Battle for the Sun" let me down in such a way that they feel off my radar. I think the key to Brian's success as a songwriter lies in his ability convey the struggle of his anger, darkness, metal health and addiction. It is in that struggle where their music has found its fire. Moloko succeeds in recapturing that moodiness on their new album. I think it is important that Stefan is still working with Brian as that duo is clearly Placebo and not just Brian Moloko solo album. There is none of the kinetic punk tension that colored their early work. It works off smooth grooves and melodies, with sonic layers of guitar embellish the dynamics.  

"The Prodigal" is the first song that makes me nervous as it touches on lighter happier tones. There are synth strings flowing in the background as it bounces along a spring road in England the lyrics ' you'll see that sorrow can set you free" is a pretty solid tone to set. At 49 he has beat the odds as a depressive rock star who did drugs up until 2006. So, 16 years of sobriety is nothing to sneeze at. It is also interesting that while he still carried the baggage gathered over the years, how it affected the albums that followed. But that song is the bar I want to set for the sonic joy conveyed for the band and do not want to hear anything brighter than that. They obliger this on "Surrounded by Spies ".  broods with a cinematic flare as it observes the post- Covid world around them. I like how they lock into a hypnotic repetition at times which is something they have used in the past.          

There is a straightforward rock to the amble of "Try Better Next Time". I do not think this song plays to what they do best and reminds me more of the moods from the ill-fated "Battle for the Sun", The first song that doesn't connect with me still makes this an improvement over their last couple albums. From the more dancey moments to the tense reflections on his "monkey mind being possessed by demons" all gives me what I want from them.  I really like the guitar tone on "Chemtrails" . The song could have come from "Blackmarket Music". The "Without You I'm Nothing" like ballad " This is What You Wanted" works without the band barrowing from themselves. While at times more along the lines of say Depeche Mode the album stays strong in it's moody shadows and gives me what I want from the band. I will give this album a 10 and see how it grows on me but as it stands now I am thrilled to have a band I love back.     


No comments:

Post a Comment