Sunday, March 13, 2022

Father Befouled : " Crowned in Veneficum"







These guys are one of those bands where I have never been wowed by what they put out, but open to the possibility that they may one day wow me. It took Withered a few albums before it clicked for me. These guys are death metal that is pretty nasty, on the slower death doom side rather than just trying to stomp over you. The vocals are a sub-bass gurgle of a growl. The guitars are all over the place creating chaos. Dissonance is achieved where most bands of this type hide the melody and texture. When the chaos gets brought up to a more crushing death metal speed it does not resonate with me as it is all just a buzz,  

The thing about that song over sound thing is, I did not realize I was on the third songs until I was already and minute and a half into it and they switched up the riffs. " His Throne Decayed" is an instrumental, but I did not member the low grumble of the vocals taking up much space to begin with.  "Miasmas of Sodom" is the first song where the speed is notedly faster.  In its hammering it does little to really distinguish themselves from other death metal bands. They slow things down into their typical grime ridden grimness.  The whole " cool riffs does not a good song make" rule we have here, comes down hard on these kinds of bands who sometimes put heaviness above even having cool riffs/.  

By the time we get to "Katabatic Deliverance" everything begins to sound the same as it appears the creative gas began to run out of the tank. They are just color by numbers death metal on "Enlightenment of Torture" . Sure there is a solid riff or two but that is the bare minimum you should ask from a song.  I like the doomier start to the last song, but it became a metallic mush and I lost interest after awhile. I will give this album a 7, not their strongest work by any means.  


No comments:

Post a Comment