Thursday, January 20, 2022

Billy Talent : 'Crisis of Faith"






This is the first time I have really given this Canadian rock band much of a listen, I have really only known them in name alone. This is their 6th album. They are fairly aggressive with a slight arena metal influence on the opener then mellow out dramatically to a saxy Pink Floyd extent on the second song. I like the first song better, but it is good to hear they are well rounded. "Beg to Differ" is the kind of pop punk that I was afraid these guys were in the first place and the main reason I did not check them out before this. They are good at what they do, it is just way too happy for me here. This is not the only time they venture in to this as they repeat this with "Reactor" which is more tolerable.  

If pop punk was the only problem, I might be a little more patient but when we come to "the Wolf Up6" it works off ever tired trick of commercial rock and comes across as trying to hard and not original enough, while also lacking balls. "Judged" tries to work off a faster more punk tinged energy, though it does not feel much more convincing. "Hanging Out With All the Wrong People" feels like a harder rock version of Sublime, though this has an endearing 90s quality to it if you are feeling nostalgic for such. From a songwriting perspective it is one of the album's best songs.  

"The End of Me" is another song for sunshine and drinking at the beach, so they are early for the summer. Pop punk was never really my thing so there is that. They are good at making it, this is just way too happy for me. "One Less Problem " has a Green Day like skip in its step. This might be a selling point for some people, I am not one of those people In the more melodic moments like the last song it reminds me more of Styx, who I like a great deal better than Green Day. I will give this album a 7.5, as it is like I have said throughout this review too happy for me, but round it up to an 8 if this is your sort of thing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment