Friday, September 20, 2024

The Barbarians of California : "And Now I'm Just Gnashing My Teeth"

 





This hard-core band is obviously from the West Coast. Most West Coast hard-core makes me think of skateboarding, but when these guys kick into it there is a more metallic stomp. They have an experimental edge that finds them doing their own thing. There is more of a spastic jerk to the second song that invokes punk vibes before the Slayer-like riff brings things home at the end of the song. There is more of an almost System of a Down feel to "the Walrus", I appreciate the sense of adventure, and going being what most hardcore bands do, but not hook me at first listen. I think the new generation of nu-metal kids who got to things like Sick New World will definitely dig it. 

"Bazooka" hits with a more metal lumber. They pick up the pace for a more manic groove. I like how it gets darker when the guitar harmonies kick in. "Dopamine Prophecy " pretty much just pounds at you with senseless violence, though with more groove than say grindcore. They are joined by Tim from Rise Against, for "Three Letters". The varied vocal colors work well on this one. "Where Are the Punks" has them chanting about bombs again, the main riff has more of a Slipknot-like grit, but it works well. 'By the Time I Get to Mexico"  feels like a less moody version of 'Adrenaline" era Deftones., but with Slayer guitar solos thrown in. 

"Mr Microphone" is heavy, but it's all over the place in the beat down it tries to serve up. They would get points for having Daryl from Snapcase, but the rest of the song sounds like System of Down. It is not the album's best song, though I think their take on the nu-metal revival has some merit and they generally care about songwriting even when they Slip into knotting. I will give this album a 9 as it's a lot of fun even if I don't listen to it again. 



pst457

No comments:

Post a Comment