Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Unleash the Archers : "Phantoma"








 Not a lot of power metal gets reviewed here as it is generally all too happy for me. However, given my penchant for twenty-sided dice, I am up to giving it a shot from time to time. I front was willing to give this band a shot thanks to frontwoman Brittney Slayes.  She does bring something to the table that her male counterparts do not, but can it keep my attention for an entire album? We shall see. The opening track reminds me more of Dokken than what I think of as power metal. Thought maybe Canadians just do the genre differently. 

They get into the sound I am not a fan of on the second song. The busy synth and guitar harmonies racing around sounds like an anime soundtrack. Not aggressive enough to feel like metal to me. "Buried in Code' continues this celebratory galloping, which works better than the previous one as her vocal melody is more nuanced. By the time we get to "The Collective," the hurry up and solo pace of the songs are all beginning to sound the same. It is also too happy again. It is a well-produced album, as all the instruments sit where you want them and cut through crisply. In terms of the arrangements, things are pretty straightforward with little surprises. 

"Gods in Decay" shows me what works most effectively is to pursue this more 80s-tinged arena metal style that has more in common with Dokken or the Scorpions it works better for them. It is what makes this one of the album's best songs. I appreciate the conceptual nature of the lyrics. They tap into the 80s thing again this time it feels more like Ann Wilson fronting Def Leppard. It works really well that is for sure. "Ghosts in the Mists" does not cash in on the 80s feel and feels like it came out during the days of Myspace, but works better than the album's happier moments. "Seeking Vengence" is kinda bland and does not grab my attention. They do a better job of that with the heavier "Blood Empress" that closes the album. It mixes a heavier modern sound with the whole 80s thing. I will give this album an 8.5 , it might not be on the level of say Nightwish or Kamelot, but is better than most when they lock into the sound that works best for them. Drops on Napalm Records May 10th. 


pst210

No comments:

Post a Comment