Friday, January 20, 2023

Riverside : " ID. Entity"





January is an interesting month as I find myself reviewing whatever I can get my hands on as new releases for the year have yet to really ramp up. This means I am listening to things I might not otherwise have a great deal of time for otherwise This is the second prog album in a row I have reviewed, but at least these guys have taken it in more of a new wave direction. Sure, there are big rock moments, but it has more in common with Tears For Fears than Dream Theater, which is fine by me. This Polish band has been around for over 20 years now, so I am well aware of who they are. I like how unlike many so-called progressive bands they have actually allowed their sound to progress. How progressive would they be if they were still doing what they were doing back in 2001? This progress plays to their favor as I like the opening song. 

The album sounds great, the vocals are well-produced, and the guitar tones are all dialed in. They do not hit you with a tone of shredding but flex their chops enough on the Tool syncopation of "Landmine Blast". I am only two songs in the beginning to wonder why I have not spent more time with these guys. "Big Tech Brother" finds them gradually getting more proggy with each song that passes. This one has a more jammy feel until the harder rock elements come in.  When they quit playing around and get serious with the song, lyrically it is a pretty powerful observation about where the world is going. I would not call these guys a metal band, but the guitar playing takes on a taunt metallic chug with "Post- Truth."     

"The Place Where I Belong" is more of a ballad. The lyrics discuss the polarization of society, which the average listener might not be ready to hear. They are really well-written and challenge the current narrative so have my full support.  "I'm Done with You" has a great groove. They work in more of a Police influence when it comes to the last song of the album. They stick to the lyrical theme of this album and the guitar playing is highly tasteful. I will give this album a 10 it is very impressive and not too prog for its own good as they are songwriters first and foremost. They are also songwriters with something to say that goes a long way with me. 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment