Monday, January 9, 2023

die Oberherren : " Die by my Hand"




die_oberherren_3000x3000.jpg






This band from Sweden is ambitious in their desire to save gothic rock. I did not have to get through the first track before deciding I like them better than the 69 Eyes. The catch here being I am not much of a 69 Eyes , so they have at least impressed me enough to say there might be something here, though are they are game changing band for the genre, well by the end of the second song that still remains to be seen. They do have an ambling goth western thing going on that recalls Fields of the Nephilim. The singer has a strong baritone, though it is layered in multi tracked vocals, and while this album is really well produced the sounds are a little brighter than needed. It sounds like they told the producer they want things like in like a Ghost album. What saved them from this tragic mistake, is the fact they are not on a Ghost level budget so it is not over produced, but this crisp sound they have should be more draped in a cavernous reverb. Ghost never sounds dark enough, these guys teeter on the line of being too bright. 

What plays to their favor is they are not trying to be Satanic and their singer has more balls to his voice than Papa Embarrass. "The Blood or the Wine" finds them heading back in a 69 Eyes rock n roll direction that sounds more Iggy Pop. Musically there is more of a 60s garage rock feel. I think what helps my perception of what is going on here, is the fact these guys are not pretending to be metal, which is the fatal mistake Ghost makes.  They head back in darker direction for "Clans of Darkness and Smoke".  They are almost trying to hard here, where the bands who did this in the 80s had a more organic feel to their darkness.  The guitars do sound better on this one.  

'Guns and Pills" feels more like Neil Diamond making a Halloween album. The brooding piano based ballad is a dynamic shift , so I appreciate that. The guitar solo on this one might be the highlight of the song. These guys are in a tough spot as if they are trying to make an album that sounds like classic goth, then I am 100 percent their target audience. Ok , 85 percent if they are hoping no one knows Fields of the Nephilim. The lyrics to "Black Nightshade" are the song's weak spot for me. Not a total deal breaker though. The last song is an improvement in the sonic direction and mood they head toward. I will round this one down to an  8.5, which still puts them ahead of most more established bands in this regard. The opening track elevated my expectations, I think these songs could have had a darker mix, but still kept me entertained, It is more likely will just listen to the bands these guys draw inspiration from when i am in the mood to hear something long these lines, but you might be less jaded and more impressed than I am . Sometimes the right audience is also a tough one. This is being released by Svart Records.    


No comments:

Post a Comment