Monday, February 19, 2024

HAMFERÐ : "Men Guðs Hond Er Sterk"

 





The third album from the Faroe Islanders continues the tradition of dark and brutal, though melodic singing also cuts through the bleakness. Perhaps my memory fails me on these guys but I do not remember the sung vocals being belted out so powerfully last time. This leads them more in the doom direction for sure. They captured a tremendous guitar sound for this album. Even on my computer speakers, it's crushing. However, the second song sounds a lot like the first with only a few nuances like the solo section to set itself apart. It is not a deal breaker for the time being, but if they go to the well with this formula too many times it will dry up fast.,

"Marrusorg' does break things up, in almost an Opeth-like manner. You can not fault them for switching it up, and there is a darker undercurrent even to the more power ballad-like portion of the song. Midway into the song the melodies begin to speak to me more. This ballad feel continues on into the next song though this brings a more Kamelot vibe, just without the symphonies. They are assembling some powerful sound but by the time we get five songs in, nothing is really grabbing me and hooking me in. I appreciate what they are doing as musicians more than I am what they are doing as songwriters. It builds up into more of a black metal part, but I would prefer more dissonance. 

They ebb back into a moodier place which works better on "Fendreygar".  The transitions on this one are a little predictable. But well done for what is going down here. After this things thankfully begin to go in a heavier doomier direction. The low guttural growls return and make a case for the fact that just because you can sing like you are in Candlemass, does not always mean you should. The last track is more of an instrumental outro than a song. Not what I was expecting but still a dark solid listen I will give this an 8.5. Metal Blade drops it in March.



pst82

No comments:

Post a Comment