Friday, June 9, 2023

Death is June- Organ Dealer :"the Weight of Being"







The fine line between grindcore and death metal is separated by a more spastic sense of punk. The drawback is that these explosive moments are often never allowed to fully form, as everything is in a short burst. This often feels like a collection of aborted ideas that were never allowed to gestate into a fully written song. With these guys, it also runs the risk of everything sounding the same. Speed is the prime fuel to their sound. There is little nuance or groove. Often resulting in no beginning for end. Things just start and stop. The vocals are marginally more varied on "Seemingly Futile" as a more shouted one emerges. Normally it is a mid range scream or low gutturals. 

When they do take more time on a song like "Blue Terror" which clock in at a minute and a half, if feels like they could have still used the time more wisely. When comes to the 33 second "Misdirected Suffering" you think what is the point of this. With "Sheltered Privilege" more of their punk side comes out to play. The vocal trade off works well, but I think I preferred when I did not know what they were saying. The lyrics seem like normal hippie narrative of bitching about shit. "Endless Despondence" finds they can play a thrash riff, they just can not focus on one for long. They throw in a stock guitar solo for good measure.

I am about 12 songs in and I come to an understanding I just need to press through this album as the more punk-infused version of grindcore these guys expel is not my thing. There are lots of blast beats, and while the drumming is rapid-fire, well that is about all there is to it. What they do hear is just sonically boring I like bands like Phobia, Portrayal of Guilt and Nails,  do something more interesting with the grindcore formula. There are a few cool riffs here and there, but not enough to make this a worthwhile listen. I feel like this is a waste of time that could have been better spent listening to something I might have like better, but it is what it is.  I guess I could have given a ten second review in the style of grindcore and screamed it's boring and sucks, but I prefer to look at why that is as it's a fully formed thought, what this band in not capable of. If you like your music to be endured rather than enjoyed, go jump into traffic. I will give this album a 4. Everlasting Spew should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment