Friday, June 12, 2020

Death is June - Yarrow : " We Made What God Could Not"






I try not to read other record reviews even when written on other blogs I write for as they give me more reasons not to like people than I already have. I made the mistake of doing so today and it started off saying how all record reviews are the same and they sound like press kits or Mad Libs. We are just talking about music here. If I want to flex my writing chops I write book, or articles on things not about a single album. The purpose of a record review is this is what you are getting. Is it worth your time is another solid point you can make and what I try to do here. 90 percent of the time I got track by track. Since we need to make this more like art in said author's opinion, I will not go track by track. I will however talk about music since that is what is happening here. With this band from California, there is only so much you can say since they are not the most original thing ever.

 I came across them on one of the Cvlt Nation tribute albums.  I forgot how they are much more doom when it comes to death doom. In debating should I include them in my Death metal month, I asked my self this... If you heard this in 1988 wedged inbetween the death metal of that time would you think it was different than those bands? No, so here we are . Do other subgenres have an influence? Yes, one band that I am not going to mention since I am sure that is another hipster review no no, but it gives them more of a sludge sound in terms of the guitar tone and how scornfully the vocals are howled. It is dark so there is that going for it. Some of the songs run together due to the uniform nature of what they do . I am of course in this review no going to tell you which two songs as my dear reader you can figure that part out your self. The songs are on the longer side all but one are over seven minutes . Only four of them, so it is still an album. I count anything an album that is longer than that album by the California thrash band whose name I won't say, but the title track is about blood falling from the sky.

These guys are good at the nastiness they come howling at you with. There are many sounds of torment and despair , more than the typical mornful nature of doom. In that sense they are more sludge. I like the album title and the art work, but convey the mood of what is going on here particularly when we hit sections of atmsophere layered over the crunch. More opressive than they are angry, this will still win over fans of the death metal side of the equation. Some of the vocals are so wretching they sound like  demonic vomit. If you are unsure of slow angular moments of chilling atmosphere thrown in and just want double bass in your face all the time then this might not be for you. I will give this an 8.5 as these guys do a great job and capture a mood that I can believe in .



No comments:

Post a Comment