Monday, June 22, 2020

Report to the Dance Floor : Carpenter Brut : "Blood Machines Soundtrack"








It is hard to review something like this is the normal way I approach albums as being very song based. I think this soundtrack was an essential part of the movie "Blood Machines" . The movie was like an acid trip in the sense you heard everything you saw, and saw everything you heard. I did a review of the movie on my horror blog, so I will give my short review of it which is "Give director Seth Ickerman all the money in Hollywood so he can make every cosmic Marvel movie that is going to come out along with any adaptations of Lovecraft. He needs to make "At the Mountains of Madness" as he shows that he undestands the scop of a cosmic creature like Cthulhu. The vintage snyth sounds made other worldly set the stage.

If you take away the movie and sit this music on it's own it is still enjoyable. Perhaps not as much so. Synth wave is not my thing. I no longer to the kind of drugs that make listening to Vangelis or Tangerine Dream my jam. On "Souls Wreck" things get into darker atmosphere than the kraut rock this comes from. Not industrial, but there are more metallic synth sounds, to convey the aggression. This was no a violent movie. Violent acts did occur, but tonally the femenine nergy to this film toned it down. 'Heart Ship" bubbles with atmosphere , but does not have the kind of moving groove found in the theme songs played earlier on. Distant choirs echo in the abyss.

The tense pulse that moved the film in the third chapter is more fun to listen to. The bigger melodies that worked off the dynamics of the story still connect. There is more brooding as the antagonist was not clear throughout the bulk of the movie. More grooving than Queen's "Flash Gordon" soundtrack, just without the anthemic vocals. Yes I could here some of these peices worked into a dj's set. I guess I will need to make a dj set to show you how it's done. Granted even the most moving peices here are working off the established theme.  French dream pop band Pencey Sloe collaborates on the theme song that is more of a song called "Gone Now". I will give this a 9 it is good for what it is and a must if you are already into synth wave.





No comments:

Post a Comment