Thursday, June 11, 2020

the Top 10 Rock Albums of 2020 ...so far






The year is half way gone. What do we have to show for it ? While you guys have been running scared I have been listening to music , new music. Yes it is still coming out in 2020 despite the music business being dealt a death blow it is not going to recover from. Savor these albums as unless it is released by an artist we are going to see less big releases coming out from this point on,as they are making less investments. If you are a musician you are screwed ,so here are ten artists that are worht your support though  3 of these guys are doing ok on their own and have other sources of income. now let us move onto why you clicked .

By rock here we are talking about anything that is not metal. There was not enough pop to justify making a seperate list and there are not a great deal of glaring pop albums aside from the number 10 album. I have albums coming out in August in my in-box already so I am way ahead of the curve, so this might be more prophetic of the year's best than in years before, considering how  bands can not tour to support releases , many are being delayed . So is this as good as 2020 is going to get ? I think not just in terms of music the answer is yes. Half of you might kill yourselves after what is going to happen in November, If you follow me on social media you know I am getting my transmissions from the aliens which are now even clearer since I am off my meds , but I have been pretty spot on in my predictions so far. It pays to be crazy these days.





10- Poppy- "I Disagree"

 This one grew on me. Makes a solid argument that she is more than a social media star trying to go metal. Head and shoulders over other gimmicks like Babymetal or Ghost. Not made but a pop album with an edge.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/01/poppy-i-disagree.html






9-Ozzy Osbourne - "Ordinary Man"


 It's a miracle he lived to make this album. I can not imagine him being able to do another. It is much better than what I feared given the fact he is using Post Malone's producer. Not a metal album, but rocks enough for his age.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/02/ozzy-osbourne-ordinary-man.html







8-Dool- "Sumerland"


 This band features members of the Devils Blood. They are less retro and more progressive, with a more straight up radio rock vibe. Some of this is thanks to the very accessible nature of the smooth vocals. A mature step forward with songwriting and even darker.



 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/04/dool-summerland.html

/>



7-Sound VVitch- "Becoming" 


 interesting blend of dark wave and industrial, though not neatly falling into either sub genre. It is too heavy for dark wave and works of slow slithering pounds rather than a neat dance floor ready groove. If you are into the darkwave or industrial strains of gothic music this album is a must.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/sound-vvitch-becoming.html




6- Mrs. Piss - " Self Surgery"



 Have yet to even load this one into iTunes, just got it last week, which factors into why it is a Chelsea Wolfe album that is not coming in higher. My first impression is I might like this better than "The Birth of Violence". This is only June so I have another 6 months to come to these conclusions.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/mrs-piss-self-surgery.html




5-Katatonia- "City Burials"

 Not a metal album, but at least these guys are not just moping around and brought back some balls to their sound. The songs are more fun than anything since "Night is the New Day".


https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/04/katatonia-city-burials.html






4-Igorrr - "Spirituality and Distortion" 

<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality="">
<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality=""> Might not pack the punch of the previous album, but is more serious about the exotic groove. If Dead Can Dance was too mellow for you then this is an album to check out. Yes the more aggressive Mr. Bungle like moments are here too. <- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality=""> https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/03/igorr-spirituality-and-distortion.html 


<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality="">
<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality="">
3-Pyschedelic Furs- "Made of Rain"
<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality="">
Not being defined by their 80s hits,  theses guys made and album that will surprise you. It falls some where between their their new wave pop past and a progressive indie rock future. Lyrically it is very asute.
<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality="">
<- and="" br="" distortion="" pirituality=""> https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-psychedelic-furs-made-of-rain.html




2- Morrissey - " I am Not a Dog on a Chain" 

There are some weird choices. I need to spend more time with this album to digest them. I always enjoy this album when I do play, I have the rest of the year to continue to unpack all my thoughts and feeling on this and it was a close call between Moz and the Furs here, but of course he is going to win out it is my blog. 

 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/03/morrissey-i-am-not-dog-on-chain.html 

 






1- Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud

When talking to an editor of anohter blog I write for in regards to their list of the same kind, I told this ...if you have not heard that saint cloud album and want to be in a good mood , I implore you to listen to it, thanks to the wonders of the american health care systems I am off my meds and have been given more hoops to jump through than I am able to deal with so instead of my wellbutrin I listen to it when I drink my coffee in the morning.... that is not my blurb , just my endorsement to you lol so that is my blurb about it here.


https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/waxahatchee-saint-cloud.html

No comments:

Post a Comment